10 August 2014

A Few Things I'd Rather Not See

Facebook:

The message "viewing top stories.  Back to Top Stories".  I have never once wanted "Top Stories", although I occasionally look at it to see what it was suggesting.  I always went right back in about 5 seconds. 

Trending posts.

Suggested posts

Other people's achievements in on-line games.

Amazon and other ecommerce sites offering to post about my purchases.

I would like the ability to sort by user:  a few folks are extremely noisy and they swamp more interesting posts.  Perhaps a view that limits any one poster to three a day.

I'd also like a way of categorizing posts:  it's very rare that I want to see pictures of people's meals, games, or cats, but occasionally people who post a lot of these have something worthwhile to say.   FB is disturbingly good figuring out the general topic of a message....let me  explicitly say up or down to the category.


IPhone:
The store popping up when I least expected it.   I occasionally buy things, but I always chose the store rather than fumbling into it, with no clear way to get back, when the UI doesn't provide an obvious way to do what I'm looking for.  This is especially common in the ipod mode.

I have never once hidden traffic on purpose in the new (since v7) map.  yet about every fifth time I use the app I find traffic turned off.   it's potentially useful to do if it's obscuring road names or something.  (I would like a quick way to get roadnames to become big enough I can see them without my reading glasses)

there are many, many apps that have a very important button which is too close to other buttons to touch without a stylus.  Fitbit's iPhone "dashboard" puts "go to the next day", which is about 40% of my use of the app, between "edit", which I have never used, and "device status", which I use about 1% of the time.

Windows8
The stupid windows button everywhere, where I constantly hit it when I was aiming for ctrl, or gripping my mouse or something.  there are 4 of them in my current view.  one would be ample.

please please please, give me back the XP interface and all that came with it, such as the ability to kill off apps when I'm done with them.

I've been using Win8 for several months now, and I've found exactly two improvements: better control of the start menu cache: it's called "Metro", and touch support works.  regressions in amazingly many other areas.

petty but important: the new "xbox" card games are basically unplayable with a mouse, they are a pain to get to, and they frequently ask me if I'd like to send them money for stupid crap I don't want.  I'll have to try the xp versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment