02 June 2016

Interstates and Superchargers

Here's a list of major highways in the US Interstate Highway System and how well they are presently covered by the Tesla Supercharger network.  The Interstate system is intended that "major" roads are multiples of 5: even numbers east-west, and odd north-south, with connectors in between, and bypasses and spurs having a leading digit (bypasses even, and spurs odd.)

I-5:  Fully covered, Canadian border to the Mexican border
I-10: Largely covered, but there's a big hole from Tuscon, AZ to San Antonio, TX
I-15: Fully covered L.A. to Pocatello, ID, but from there to the Canadian border is challenging
I-20: Spotty coverage.   It's not a transcontinental: it only goes from West TX to SC.  It should be called I-14.
I-25: Good from its northern terminus in WY, but stops at Albuquerque.
I-29: Is an important road in the midwest, running from Louisiana (where it's called I-49) to Winnipeg with a big gap in Arkansas with the renaming at Kansas City.  It has 4 superchargers.  It needs a dozen.
I-30: This is really just a spur, from Little Rock to Dallas.  No coverage.  It should be called I-335.
I-35: Almost complete, San Antonio to Duluth, with just a couple of gaps
I-40: Almost complete, L.A. to Raleigh, NC, with a big gap from Oklahoma City to Nashville
I-44: the old route 66 is almost complete, Chicago to L.A, with just a small gap in MO.
I-45: despite its name, it's a spur, not an interstate at all: it's completely supercharged, Dallas to Houston.  It should be called I-314
I-49: Is called I-29 north of Kansas City.
I-50: no such road.  They may have been worried about confusion with US-50.  US-50 is a true transcontinental, Ocean City, MD, to San Francisco.  It shares its route with I-80 and I-70 for part of the way and is well supercharged in those places, but not otherwise.
I-55: Almost finished Chicago to New Orleans, with one charger needed near Memphis, TN
I-60: No such road.  US-60 goes from L.A. to Norfolk, VA.  I-10, I-44, I-64 share parts of its route.
I-64: spotty coverage, St Louis to Norfolk, VAI-65: Almost finished Chicago to Mobile, AL
I-70: The first supercharged transcontinental. Fully covered, DC to Utah, where it splits into I-80 to SF and I-15 to LA
I-75: Almost completed Southern Florida to Michigan, with northern MI the only gap.
I-80: About half completed, but there are a few big gaps.  As a transcontinental, they are redundant with I-70, but Southern WY, NB, IA, and Northern PA are unserved, and would be by finishing I-80.
I-85: A stub, from AL to NC.   Fully covered.
I-86: Southern New York.  unserved.
I-90: Fully covered.
I-94: Is the northern route, connecting connecting Billings, MT to Chicago through Minneapolis, Fargo, Bismark, etc.    It needs a half dozen more superchargers.
I-95: Fully covered.
US-101:  Fully covered, San Diego to Ukiah, CA, No coverage at all north of there.  Two SCs in Eureka and Crescent City have been planned for over a year, but no construction at all.  101 in Oregon is well covered by Aerovironment's CHAdeMO.  update: Eureka is started and Seaside, OR is open, and there appear to be plans for Lincoln and Coos Bay, OR.
US-1: For a lot of its route, it's close to or shares it's route with I-95.  I found no place south of Maine where a US-1 Tesla traveler would have to drive far for a supercharge, or for that matter any place east of the Appalachians.  Northeastern Maine and northern New Hampshire are a problem
US-2: Much of the northernmost transcontinental route is uncovered, except for where it crosses another route, which is rare.  
US-61: New Orleans through Minnesota, is now largely supplanted by I-55.  The Music Highway.  The crossroads where Robert Johnson purportedly sold his soul to the devil is at Clarksdale, MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment